The Canon TS-E 50mm f/2.8L Macro takes an L-series optical formula that includes two UD lens elements and adds extensive tilt-and-shift movements for a combination of precision and quality that can be ideal for macro photography, advertising, architecture and more. Up to +/- 8.5° of tilt is possible, for focus control, and +/- 12mm of shift, to adjust perspective and composition, and a tilt-locking mechanism can be used while shooting for more stability. A minimum focus distance of 10.6" and a maximum magnification of 0.5x are also benefitted by the range of movements for more control over depth of field when photographing close-up subjects.
This L-series prime lens is also distinguished by its optical design that features a pair of Ultra-Low Dispersion elements to significantly reduce colour fringing and chromatic aberrations as well as one aspherical element to minimize spherical aberrations and distortion. Individual elements also feature both Air Sphere and Subwavelength Coatings to suppress flare and ghosting for greater contrast and colour neutrality.
- Perspective control, tilt-shift lens affords +/- 12mm of shift and +/- 8.5° of tilt, and both types of movements can be applied independently, and parallel or perpendicular to one another.
- Two ultra-low dispersion elements help to reduce colour fringing and chromatic aberrations for improved clarity and colour accuracy.
- One aspherical element minimizes spherical aberrations and distortion for improved sharpness.
- Both Air Sphere and Subwavelength Coatings have been applied to lens elements to minimize surface and internal reflections for a marked reduction in lens flare and ghosting when working in strong lighting conditions.
- Rounded nine-blade diaphragm contributes to a pleasing out of focus quality that benefits the use of shallow depth of field techniques.